Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Design advice?

I need some ideas/help on this project please!
I was so excited about this beautiful desk, dresser, chair, mirror combo I picked up off Craigs List for 50 $ a few months back. I got to work on it with a vision of doing it white, with dark glaze to accentuate the wave in the wood.


Photos of the before




In the painting process...





                                                               
                                                                              Finished Photos..




The photos don't show well that there is a very slight yellow tint due to the Polyurethane I put over the paint. I think that is what I am really hating more than anyhing. I don't know what to change it to. I was thinking of stripping it back down to bare wood and then staining it a dark cherry wood? That is a TON of work though I don't know.. HELP!

5 comments:

  1. I think it looks great! I have a dresser from the same sset, it was my moms. The original color is off white with gold trim. When we re-painted it for my daughter I kept it the same colors. It was how it was when I grew up and just wanted something from my grandmas house.
    I wouldn't change it, it really does look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, the pics don't show how yellow they look in person. I don't know about stripping them and staining them dark...does that really go with your decor design?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nova- Wow thats so neat that you have a piece of your mothers that you love.I really love the waved wood. Do you know how old your dresser is? I adore the piece it's self. I just don't know what it is that feels wrong about how I did it.
    Kristin- The Crib and Changing table are already a dark cherry wood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's about 50yrs old. I have it in dtrs room and her crib and changing table/dresser are a cherry. I like it together.
    I am afraid if you made them dark they would look a little garish and would lose it's original charm. Also look at the size of the room, would it look smaller with all that dark wood in there.
    Like I said I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would try some new knobs.

    ReplyDelete

Remark?